The kindergarten classes headed to Quarry Hill for their first of two science classes. I jumped at the chance to chaperone, not only because I believe this is one of the advantages of being a stay at home mom, but also because I've been dying to meet Jillian's classmates and get a feel for the group she is a part of. Quarry Hill is an awesome place, and we are so lucky to have this in our community. Our teacher for the afternoon was Mr Payne, and he gave a fantastic lesson to all of these "young scientists" about the scientific process. He covered observation, hypothesis, and experiments thoroughly while making it really fun and entertaining for the kids (and adults). They got hands-on opportunities as well. Definitely a step up from preschool field trips in terms of content. Kindergartners are also more openly talkative to chaperones than preschoolers are. I got lots of questions (what's your name? How old are you?) and even some compliments ("I love your lipstick!"). I heard a lot of "Hey Jillian's mom! Look at this!", and some limit testers who were just checking to see if I was paying attention to their bus behavior (Yes, I was. I felt like I was at the dinner table at home....please sit down, turn around, face the front, etc etc). I admit I got a bit of a stab in the heart when Jillian politely asked about halfway through our time at QH, "Mama, is it OK if I sit with someone else on the way back?" I told her of course I didn't mind, but I did feel a bit sad inside. I know her rejection of me on so many levels is coming soon. She did end up changing her mind at the last minute, so we had some nice chatting together on the ride home. A fun way to spend a beautiful Fall afternoon!
 |
| Bus selfie |
 |
| Mr Payne teaching observation skills through comparing pictures of trees to the tree they were standing under |
 |
| Examining basswood leaves |
 |
| Making observations about the basswood leaves |
 |
| Measuring leaves |
 |
| Learning the story of Junior the goose. Moms, grab a tissue before reading on....Junior was injured this summer when his parents were teaching their goslings to fly. He was unable to fly away with his family when they left for the winter and is all alone. But--Junior's mom flies back every week or two to check on him to see if he can go join the family. Hopefully Junior can heal so he can be with his family this winter! |
 |
| Taking an exploratory trek through the woods. Looking for clues in the trees. |
 |
| She sees something! |
 |
| You're growing up, Jilly Girl. |
No comments:
Post a Comment