template

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

6

Dear Jillian,

Today you are 6. SIX! You now need both of your hands to show people your age. That is some big stuff. This morning you came bouncing in to my room, full of joy and excitement about your big day finally arriving. You hopped into bed with me and chattered on and on in your big girl way, using your hands demonstratively when talking and tucking your hair behind your ears. Your dad says you get this from me. Speaking of your dad, as I was thinking about the day of your birth I remembered a story you probably don't yet know about that day. I didn't come to know this story until you were almost 2. As Daddy and I were sitting at his residency graduation dinner (June 2010), they played a video of the graduates. They focused on each graduate, one by one, listing personal info, what their job/fellowship plans were, and so on. They also asked each graduate what their favorite moment of residency was, which was met with varied responses--some funny, some serious, but none struck me in the heart the way your dad's answer did. He said his favorite moment of residency was about an hour after you were born. The delivery drama was wrapped up, you and I were settling in, and he knew I was dying for a fully-leaded latte. He walked across the street form the hospital to Caribou (remember he works at this hospital, and frequented this Caribou) just as everyone was arriving to work on that Wednesday morning and he said he was bursting with joy, just hoping he would run into someone he knew so he could tell them he now had a beautiful, healthy daughter. He didn't happen to run into anyone he knew, so he began excitedly telling strangers and coffee shop staff about his precious little gift that was just across the street, fresh and new. Sweet, huh? A precious little gift. That's you. You may be quickly outgrowing the "little" status, but you are indeed a precious gift. This last year has been one of such growth for you, and we are marveling at your new found maturity, knowledge, and insight. I think kindergarten does something magical to kids, or at least I've seen it in you. Suddenly, I see you really forming together to be a person. All of those characteristics (the good, the bad, the frustrating) we noticed in you as an infant, toddler, preschooler seem to be working in harmony to create a fully dimensional personality. What I mean is, I think we are finally beginning to grasp who the 'real Jillian' is. You are out in "the world" most of the time, and we get feedback about that--from your teacher and your school. Your dad and I are bursting with pride at the feedback we've been getting. It's affirmed what we know about you, and also given us some nice surprises in how you've handled tough stuff with grace, reached out to kids who need some help, and accept challenges presented to you. What I'm fumbling around trying to find the words for is really this: kindergarten has given us a chance to see the fruits of our labor. It's hard to notice every aspect of personality working together, or to feel like your efforts in parenting are really doing anything when your kids are really small and demanding--it's really easy to see the tough stuff, or to see traits in isolation. School has given us a chance to step back and really view you in a whole new light. I can't describe how wonderful that feels. It's just awesome. YOU are awesome. I pray this year is full of joy, growth, and health for you. It's such a blessing to be your mom. Happy Birthday, Jilly Girl.

xoxo--Mama
p.s. Don't ever stop calling me 'Mama'. I love it.


No comments:

Post a Comment