template

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

On Her Mind

Jillian has lots of things on her mind these days, too....

-First, instead of celebrating 'Cinco de Mayo', we really celebrated "Cinco Kyle", since that is what it sounded like to her.

-She was excited beyond excited to attend a 'kindercamp' at the school she will attend in the fall. It was a half day, drop off situation where they orient the kids to the school, do a little assessment, and just get them comfortable. Jillian had no qualms about this, and bubbled over with enthusiasm when I dropped her off. When I picked her up, I saw this proud face greet me.

The teacher wrote the following description about Jillian on the assessment they sent home for parents to review: "Friendly, confident,wants to learn". I'd say she hit the nail on the head.

-Last weekend as we were starting to expand the garden, Jillian and I decided to look for worms. I pulled one out of the ground and held it up to her, and she just looked baffled. Completely confused. Finally, she asked "where's its mouth?" I told her I wasn't sure, but that we could probably tell by which way it started to crawl. And then she expounded, "No, Mom. I mean, where in the world is its smile?!?" Matt informed me this is a sad sign that this child's greatest number of worm exposures has probably come from TV and not from the actual ground. Parenting fail #786 over here.


-On Monday she came home and told me a girl at school kissed her. I had a hard time figuring out the context, but it really confused Jillian. So at dinner she started asking about marriage (and this is never on a night Matt is actually home of course) and asked me if girls could marry girls, if boys could marry boys, and so on. I wasn't expecting my 5 year old to ask me such questions, and therefore was unprepared to answer her. I didn't want to lie or confuse her or inundate her with politics on the issue, so I told her that it depends where you live. I told her that in some states you are allowed to marry a girl or a boy and in some states you aren't. This answer satisfied her for the day, and then last night at dinner again (Matt of course absent for this humdinger of a convo too) she began again. Asking about who you could marry (informed me she wanted to marry her dad, and I had to let her down easy), etc, and more questions about babies. At some point I told her that God designed a mom and a dad with the right parts to make a baby, and so if she wanted to have a baby in her tummy she would need to marry a man (I did not think this was the time to tell her about all the scientific advances that would allow this in the absence of a husband. I'm sure we'll get there someday with all her interrogations). So, then..."Does it hurt to have a baby?" Keeping with my honesty-is-the-best-policy approach, I told her simply 'yes'. And then she got scared acting about it and I told her, "Your body is not ready for a baby yet, so don't worry, it won't happen." Next question, "Well, what about when I am a teenager?" Oh dear. "Well, teenagers usually aren't married, and it's really best to be married to have a baby. A mom and a dad who love each other very much and are married is the best situation to have a baby." I am an idiot to think it would stop there. "So how do the mom and dad get the baby in the mom's tummy?" Oh for the love, Jillian. I have learned, however, that she often answers her own questions if I just pause for a few seconds (to frantically think). Thank goodness she did that this time. "Oh, I know.....they pray!" Whew. "Yes! Yes! They do. A mom and dad pray for their baby. You are exactly right." And it was then that I quickly declared that dinner was over and it was time for bath!


-Lastly, today she came home from school and told me she made a card for Adrienne today.
Front cover

Inside left

Jillian decided that Adrienne was the person she wanted to pray for during this little assignment, and therefore she dictated this prayer to her teacher. Good to know she is concerned about her sister's character. This gave me such a giggle. A definite keepsake!

No comments:

Post a Comment