template

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Let It Grow

Ah, the garden is officially in at the Howe house! We worked all weekend (not just on the garden, but on front landscaping), and I think we may be in trouble trying to get out of bed tomorrow. There was lots of digging up/pulling out bushes, tilling, hauling sticks/dirt in a wheelbarrow, digging, fence building, and seed planting around here on top of the usual weekend stuff...church, brunch, farmer's market, groceries, laundry, cooking, kid wrangling. Why am I typing? I should be sleeping. The girls waited as patiently as possible for the big moment tonight--planting the seeds. Let's just say they are not too hip on the idea of doing all the grunt work that happens before the "fun" part of planting. If I had a dollar for every instance J asked if we could plant seeds, I could retire every person I know. Totally painful. To pass the time, I gave her the very important job of writing labels on craft sticks for the garden. 12 types of plants/seeds went into this garden this year (plus my 3 pots of various herbs on the deck)....sweet corn, strawberries, Brussels sprouts, kale, tomatoes, carrots, green beans, snap peas, radishes, lettuce, cucumbers, and zucchini. Let it grow!!!
Keeping the face of impatience busy

"Mom, when I am doing important work like this I like to take my time"  Verbatim quote.

Love the 5 year old handwriting

Checking our work at 9 p.m. tonight. The garden was officially tripled in size today, which meant new stakes and fencing--2 fences. A tall one to keep out the deer, plus rabbit proof fence at the bottom....now we just pray we don't get a mole and all should be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment