template

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Marriage

Jillian went back to school today after Christmas vacation. On the way home we had our usual "how was your day?" conversation, and I got quite the answer on this occasion.

Me: "How was your day?"

J: "Great. I told Jonah that I would marry him again. I decided that was a good choice."

Me: "You mean you had already told him you wanted to marry him someday?"

J:  "Yep, I'm keeping my promise."

Me: "Wow, I didn't realize you had made such a promise at the age of 5."

J: "Well, I just couldn't decide. But he said he'd take me to baseball games and on date nights."

Me: "Oh. Well, that sounds like he knows how to be a pretty good husband." (Props to Jonah's dad for setting the example of taking his wife on date nights.)

J: "Yep, he will take me and the childs to a baseball game"

Long pause here, while I tried to figure this out and determine how I would respond to my child telling me she was going to have "childs" with someone.

Me: "What do you mean 'take you and the childs' to baseball games? What childs?"

J: "Mom, I am going to have some childs. Jonah said we could even name one of them 'Max'."

Me: "Well, when exactly do you think the right time to have "childs" will be?" (holding my breath for this answer)

J: "I am going to have a baby in my tummy, Mom. But I am too small now, I have to be a lot bigger."

Me: "Yes! Yes! You have to be A LOT bigger. And A LOT OLDER! Like 30. I was 30. OK? OK? OK?"

J: "Got it, Mom." I peeked in my rearview mirror again at this point and saw her grin and give me the thumbs up sign. Phew. You can bet I look forward to sharing this little gem of a story with Jonah's sweet mom next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment