The past 2 weeks have been a blur of diaper changes, frequent feedings, and little sleep. I quickly remembered how all-consuming infant care is....add in a very spirited 2 1/2 year old and you have a mom who is easily overwhelmed. I'm sure that will pass, or I'll at least get used to it. We are lucky we've had such great help. More on that later. So just what have we been doing for the last two weeks?
 |
| Grandad arrived the day after we came home from the hospital and stayed for a few days. I am pretty sure that he and Adrienne (and Jillian) enjoyed each other. |
 |
| Adrienne experienced her first meal out. She was the perfect Chipotle patron, sleeping through the meal so I could eat mine. |
 |
| Jillian and Grams were along for the Chipotle trip (Grandad, too), and Jillian decided to give Grams a bit of impromptu love |
 |
| This is how Adrienne spends most of her time during late night hours...snuggled up against Mom after a feeding. |
 |
| Lounging in bed with Dad on a Sunday morning |
 |
| Practicing for the real deal with some gas-induced smiles |
 |
| Enjoying visits from friends. Jillian and Sophia loved playing doctor together. |
 |
| A and I escaped the house one morning to have coffee at Panera with our friends Charie and Emmy (4 months) |
 |
| A became jealous of my pastry and decided she needed a snack, too! Can you see her little feet sticking out of the hooter hider? |
 |
Jillian has become very interested in puzzles lately, and practices frequently. She did a great job of multi-tasking one afternoon as she carried on a detailed conversation with Aunt Meggie.
My impression of a 2 week old Adrienne is that she is relatively laid-back. When she cries, she means it, and it's for a reason--a burp that needs to escape, a dirty diaper, or hunger. I've not noticed much fussing just for the sake of fussing, and I appreciate that. She is a true snuggler and is happiest when held. She'd prefer to sleep nestled up next to me in bed or on my chest, and for the most part I let her. I'm too tired or lazy (or both) to work on getting her to sleep appropriately in her bassinet or crib most nights, though she is able to sleep in her bassinet for a good 2-2 1/2 hr stretch at times during the night. The kicker is she'll sleep for up to 4 if sleeping with me. Hmmm....which would you choose as a tired mom?? Adrienne is an enthusiastic eater, and as a result seems to spit up a lot (or at least a lot in comparison to Jillian who rarely did). This compounds the putting her on her back to sleep in her bed at night issue, because I hear coughing/gagging or the sound of spit-up hit the bed and that is just not conducive to sleep for either of us. Another "side effect" of her voracious eating is frequent pooping. The girl can really let it rip, and she has a knack for doing so just after you've changed her. Again. Adrienne is strong and has fantastic head control for a babe of her age. When she's awake, she's truly alert and taking in her surroundings. So far, she seems unphased by the rough touches and loud noises of her sister. I hope that continues.
Many have asked just how Jillian is handling our new addition. We're experiencing some bumps in the road, as we knew we would where a 2 year old is concerned. These are mostly related to an increased defiance toward Matt and I, and more frequent tantrums. I am grateful that she hasn't taken any of her aggressions out on Adrienne, and truly seems to love her. She loves to bring me diapers, swing her in the infant swing (sorry, Adrienne, for the amusement park style rides you've had to endure thus far), and becomes distressed when she cries. Just today, after a lunch out, we made a quick stop at Panera so Grams could run in and get us all a cookie. Adrienne was hungry and proceeded to scream continuously as we waited in the car. Jillian lasted about 30 seconds before pleading with me, "Mom, we have to go home. Hurry. Adrienne is hungry, Mom. Please, hurry, and it's raining outside. We have to go home right now!" She was ready to leave her beloved Grams behind so we could bolt home and feed her sister. (Adrienne made it just fine another 2 minutes til we got home, by the way. I promise she was not abused for the sake of my cookie craving).
I think it's safe to say that we are surviving thanks mostly to my mom right now. She has been here since just before I went into labor, and her help has been continuous. She has done all the cooking, all the laundry, cleaning, and most of Jilly care. She has even regularly taken a shift in the night with A so that I can get a couple hours of uninterrupted sleep. I'll be honest and say that I am scared for her to leave. We have been spoiled rotten and are so appreciative of all the TLC she has freely given. I think we just might keep her! (Sorry, Dad, if you want your wife back you have to come get her and pry her out of my vice grip) |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
No comments:
Post a Comment