Since I am now officially in my 3rd trimester, it's time for a review of my second 2nd trimester. Typically, the 2nd trimester is supposed to be the glory trimester. The sickness of the 1st has past, the woes of the 3rd have not set in, and many women feel a surge of energy and an overall feeling of enjoyment during this time. I did experience this during my first 2nd trimester when pregnant with Jillian. It was a whole different ball game this time. This trimester began with the welcome relief of all-day sickness, as expected, but it was quickly replaced by a horrible stomach virus (thank you, dear 2 year old for sharing with me). A couple of weeks later, a cold/cough virus. Finally, the worst sinus infection of my life that lasted over 6 weeks and required 2 courses of antibiotics and a trip to the ENT to clear up. Amidst my illnesses, Matt and Jillian also experienced some of the same. It was a terrible cycle of passing germs back and forth. I felt more fatigued than in the 1st trimester and suddenly felt like I was in my 3rd trimester due to physical symptoms of pregnancy. My belly button (which never popped out during the first pregnancy), popped out at 22 weeks, I developed uncomfortable varicose veins which led to compression stockings (never wore those before), and my chest is covered with what looks like acne, yet is simply a bunch of cherry angiomas (due to the extra estrogen of pregnancy). Additionally, I have felt much more emotional these last couple of months (read teary, irritable, extra sensitive). Put this whole picture together and what you have is one mess of a pregnant woman. I can admit it, it is true. But, what you also have is one thankful pregnant woman. I may not always do a great job of focusing on it every day (I am human after all, and tired, and have I mentioned I have a 2 year old??), but I am so incredibly thankful for this life inside me that already keeps me up at night. I cannot wait to meet this busy little body and see her sweet face. It is truly a gift to carry a baby, no matter the "side effects". So, here's to the new beginning the 3rd trimester brings. May it surprise me and be the glory trimester of this pregnancy!
Oh, and I suppose it's time for another belly shot.....
WOW look at that belly! = ) I can't wait to meet my sweet little niece!
ReplyDeleteI would also like to mention that if I were your OB nurse, I would LOVE to start an IV on you.... = ) guess that's just the nurse in me.
ReplyDelete