Today I had both my glucose tolerance test, and another OB appt. It made for a long morning of appts. After dropping off Jillian, I promptly reported to endocrinology to down my glass of lukewarm lemon-lime syrupy beverage. Gross. I should first back up and say that though I didn't have any problems last time, I was worried about getting the gestational diabetes diagnosis this time, perhaps because I feel particularly attached to desserts in any form right now. I always love dessert, but it's just been with heightened intensity this time. Taking them away from me right now would be very bad news...for everyone in this house. Because of this fear, I frantically binged yesterday on dessert whenever the opportunity presented itself. I had a cookie and a mini muffin at a meeting yesterday morning, a large bowl of coffee ice cream after lunch, and a huge piece of cake before bed last night. After the test, I headed over to the OB office for the visit and to get the results...but not before stopping briefly at the bakery in the Mayo subway to devour a blueberry muffin as a hypothetical one last carb-loaded hoorah. You know, just in case. Thankfully, my fears were unfounded and I once again passed the test with flying colors. I celebrated with a piece of cake after lunch.
Other stats from the OB appt include....
Weight--up 5.72 lbs from last month, for a grand total of 19.14 lbs. I'm sure this has nothing to do with my dessert consumption. Might be time to add a few more minutes to the daily treadmill walk.
BP-- nice and low at 90/56
Hemoglobin--10.9 (routine check at this stage of gestation). They like it to be over 11, but this was close enough. I'll just need to eat a bit more steak.
Baby heart rate--steady and fluctuating between 147-152. The dr. and I had to chuckle because she kept kicking the transducer when he was trying to find her heart beat.
Fundal height--24-25 cm. This was only a 1-2 cm change from last month, which is less than expected. However, my OB is not worried, and says that this can happen in subsequent pregnancies. Apparently the baby has more room to move in my previously-stretched uterus, and therefore could be laying sideways. This would affect the height of my uterus and result in an incorrect measurement of growth. But--just to be sure, we are scheduled for another formal ultrasound for growth measurement on April 12th. Dr. J. reassured me many times, and said: "If I was really worried, we'd be doing this tomorrow. This baby is going to be just fine". I'd rather be safe than sorry, so I appreciate his caution in addition to his reassuring manner. He's going to stay at work after overnight call that day so he can personally see me for a visit after the ultrasound. How's that for service?
No comments:
Post a Comment