Matt's been talking about doing an IRONMAN for the last 20 years. Mostly in casual conversation, or in awe as we faithfully watch the IRONMAN world championships every year. Last fall, he told me he was going to do one. He had signed up for the IRONMAN Wisconsin in Madison and wanted to do this before he turned 40. So began a year of some pretty crazy training, often twice per day (before and after work), and generally half-days on weekends. It's been a team effort, and while of course I sometimes wished he would be home more, I've never wavered in encouraging him to do this thing for himself. It's been a really good thing for the girls to watch Matt set a lofty goal and stay the course to see it through. Even when it's hard, even when he doesn't feel well, even when he's busy. The time finally came last weekend. In a last minute decision, we took my parents up on the offer to come stay with the girls. They were pretty wiped from the first week of school, and going to Madison for this event would have meant missing 2 days of school (and they will already be missing more than we'd like this Fall due to upcoming travels). Suddenly, we had a three day weekend together in one of our favorite towns stretched out ahead of us.
We arrived and headed straight to the Monona Terrace to check in. The athlete check in process was lengthy and I was not allowed to go through the lines with him once he started.
We had a really beautiful hotel with an awesome view of the capitol.
After all the checking in and some shopping, we went to dinner at L'Etoile. We ate here when we were first in Madison 7 years ago and remember it as quite the foodie experience. It did not disappoint a second time--in fact, we appreciated it so much more this time having now been to some pretty amazing and crazy restaurants via our travels. It was a wonderful dinner and as we looked out at the Capitol while eating dessert, Matt said "This is one of those moments I'm going to remember for a long time"
Saturday morning brought more check-ins, organization of special needs bags to drop off, and a quick workout. I sat on some bleachers by the lake drinking coffee and reading while Matt took a short 30 min ride and then a 10 minute run. Last official training workout.
We had brunch at Marigold, then both took a 2 hour nap! I can't remember the last time I napped that long. We had an early pasta dinner at Cento, then got to bed early. Matt was up at 4, carb loading with some cereal.
After a quick double check of his special needs bags, he was off!
I got up when he left and got ready to go to my VIP breakfast about an hour later. Ready to spectate!
The VIP breakfast was on top of the Monona Terrace, so we had an amazing view of the swim. If you look on the left of the picture at the winding ramp, you will see it jammed with people. I had coffee, hot breakfast, a chair, and an unobstructed view. VIP passes are worth the purchase!
Matt's wave starting out! Love this picture so much.
I waited in a line 2 blocks long to catch the shuttle to Verona to see Matt at the 55 mile bike mark. Thankfully it went fast.
Little did I know, he had big problems on the bike. Around mile 20, he came around a corner and shifted and bent his chain (I am sure I am simplifying this a lot). He pulled over to the mechanical people and they said they didn't have chains and he needed a new one. He carried on with the chain catching the whole rest of the way. He didn't see me in Verona, but had planned to tell me that he didn't think he was going to finish. I am so glad he didn't see me. I would have probably told him just to stop, or worried the whole time. It's really a miracle that the chain held out. Watching him on the tracker, I noticed he was biking slightly slower than usual, but also knew that it was a very hilly course. I had no indication of trouble. He thinks this snafu cost him a good 30-45 minutes of time, which is just remarkable considering how fast he finished the race in all.
Once he was off the bike, I caught him several times on the run. The run route was basically a 2 time loop through downtown and the campus so it was easy to see him and talk to him. Our hotel was a block off the route, so I went back several times to charge my phone (that tracker app is a battery drainer!) and rest here and there. At one point I did wander into The Old Fashioned for some cheese curds and a cocktail. Spectating is hard work! Every time I saw him on the run, he was smiling and looking strong.
When he had about 5 miles to go, I made my way to the finish line. Once again, VIP status was super helpful in that I could just walk past everyone and stand on a platform with a perfect view! I was so excited as I watched him track closer and closer.
Then he came around the corner and into the chute. What an awesome moment watching him finish!!! 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, and 26.2 mile run in 11:57:37
This is just one room where they kept the athlete's special needs bags. Crazy. Had to pick up the gear when he was done.
After gathering his equipment and a slow walk back to the hotel, he got a shower, lots of fluids, and then requested a salty meal (felt low on sodium) of Ian's pizza. So we grabbed some and sat outside on the race course watching the athletes run by.
Lastly, we spent a couple hours at the finish line cheering on late night finishers. Matt said this felt more amazing than actually finishing himself. So awesome to see all the people of varying ages/body types reaching their goals. Really remarkable.
Post race breakfast at the Marigold (again). LOTS 'o pancakes!!
Congratulations, You are an IRONMAN!!!!
Meanwhile, back in Rochester....the girls enjoyed lots of fun times with G and G. Dunkin donuts, farmer's market, Squash Blossom pizza with lots of friends, and they posed with some beautiful flowers Grandma Helen sent us. What a weekend all around!
No comments:
Post a Comment