We are rolling along through Fall over here. The girls are adjusted to school just fine. Adrienne is just about the happiest kid I've ever seen--she is literally bouncing in and out of school each day. It feels good to her to feel 'big', I think. And everything is "awesome". Jillian is growing up fast--her comments and facial expressions, and tone of voice as she describes second grade life are all very teenagery. That's my new made-up adjective for her--teenagery. She's testing out some phrases and name calling (weirdo and dummo are her favorites), and her desire for independence in every.single.decision is so intense. So intense, people (just last night I actually heard, "You are not in control of me, Mom. I am in charge of myself and I make my own decisions"). I am working hard to not respond to every comment I find annoying or disrespectful. The behaviorist principle behind my strategy is that of "extinguishing". So far it's failing miserably! Ha! I am also testing out a new method of disengaging during "battles" where I say to her, "I'm done speaking. Would you like to have the last word?" Every single time I've done this, she's shouted, "NO!" Alrighty then.
A few snippets and pics of September stuff...
-We have been trying to do some dates for each of us with one child. One Sunday Matt took Jillian biking on the trail (she did 6 miles!), and I suggested to Adrienne that we go on a walk. That was certainly not her idea of having a 'date' with me. She instead asked to go to Flapdoodles. Twist my arm if you must, kid.
-Adrienne is so in love with these three stuffed bears that Matt has given her over the years, that she carefully tucks them in her bed each night/day. She just leaves a tiny bit of room for herself on the right. Pictured, L-R are Rojo (Valentine's gift), Lizzy (you can't see her attire, but she's in a kilt and she's from Scotland), and her most recent friend, Bob (he's from Paris, and yes, she named him just Bob).
I've been trying to tackle a little home project a couple days a week now that I have "all this time" (whatever, it's not as much as I thought it would be!). My first chore was to declutter the girls' rooms and pare it all down. I texted Matt this pic of Jillian's window seat and drawers. I'd like to just have anyone who might buy my children gifts take a look at this picture and realize that a) we do not need any more stuff and b) my kids do not take care of said stuff.
Jillian had it in her mind that she wanted to make a very specific dessert one night. This dessert would consist of flour tortillas, which she spread with butter, sprinkled with cinnamon sugar, and then wrapped up a couple mini candy bars inside. We baked these until crisp and then served them with ice cream. They were really delicious and she was so proud!
Jillian now takes a book whenever we go out to eat--she is completely engrossed in said book as we wait for tables, wait for food, and actually even when she's eating. This is such a change from the toddler years at restaurants!
We had the chance to spend several evenings with Great Grandma Helen, Grandpa Bennie, and Debbie while they were here for some medical appointments for Helen. I just love the sweet snuggle I captured between Adrienne and Helen. A treasure of a photo.
Adrienne attended her dear friend, Charlie's birthday party last weekend. His mom sent me this precious pic of them. Be still my heart.
And this came home last night. Girl knows how to make her momma proud!
No comments:
Post a Comment