Summer may be running out, but we are still running strong. Adrienne decided that she wants to do her own hair. She worked very hard on this lovely style, then came to me and exclaimed that the clips make her look like she is eleven! Ha!
Matt brought home our third child on Monday. Meet his new tri bike. Daddy has some Ironman goals, and he's going for it.
On Tuesday evening I dropped the girls off at ROCA for William's birthday party. They had so much fun climbing. While they were gone, I hit the new kids line at Target (super cute stuff) and found Jillian a chambray shirt. She loves to wear anything that is similar to what I wear. Someone is growing up!
We stocked up on some new books at the library on Wednesday.
Independently running the auto-checkout machine is pretty much the best thing ever.
Ahhhh....an afternoon of peace while I made dinner. Jillian read 3 chapter books in 24 hours.
On Thursday, the girls had to come down to the clinic with me for a dermatology appointment. They enjoyed gazing out the Gonda building windows from the 16th floor waiting room.
Technology free waiting at mom's appt is hard, you know, but we did it! The bookworm did her thing, while the little artist decided to sketch her plastic crab toy.
 |
|
Here's my PSA: check your toenails and fingernails for changes! I had no idea that it was possible to grow a melanoma on your toenail, and guess what? They can look like a bruise, which is what I had on my big toenail for months and never thought twice about until Matt and I had a random conversation one night about toenail fungus (his) and how melanoma can look like a toenail bruise. At that point I promptly freaked out, removed my polish, and showed him the bruise I'd been ignoring for so long. He never freaks out about anything, but he was concerned enough that he told me to get it checked immediately. So, 24 hours later I had been examined in dermatology and sent over to the procedure center for a partial toenail removal that they shipped to pathology. Once it was off, they were able to see it is most likely a hematoma and not a scary melanoma (results still pending). I have a tender toenail, but I am SO thankful! It was a scary couple of hours at the clinic and I am so glad that Matt was able to run upstairs and grab the girls so I could have the procedure done right away and not have to wait.
 |
|
On Friday we spent the day dealing with some home alarm and septic drain field issues (ah, the joys of home ownership!), and then Grammy and Grandad showed up to save the day and spend the weekend with the girls. Matt and I took a 4 hour drive to Cable, WI to spend the weekend with some friends at their cabin on Diamond Lake. We arrived just as the sun was setting, and were quickly ushered out back to catch it. Just lovely.
Mark and Julie are the most amazing hosts, and true to form, this cabin experience was so wonderful. Their property is gorgeous, and in addition to the beautiful main cabin, they have two smaller bunk houses (complete with full bathrooms, fridge, microwave, coffee makers) for guests. This was our lovely place to stay for the weekend.
The back of the main cabin as viewed from the water.
The guys went out mountain biking for the morning while us ladies enjoyed such a peaceful, spa like atmosphere in the cabin as we drank coffee and chatted. After lunch, we went out on the water to enjoy the boat, and Matt jet skied and tried paddle boarding.
Matt in front of the guest houses.
Standing in the living room of the main cabin. Matt was making fun of the fact that I was wearing socks with my Birkenstocks. The birks felt the best on my toe and I got cold, OK?!
Matt relaxing by the fire.
The afternoon got a bit rainy, so we came inside and enjoyed the view and then had some wine and snacks while we played Farkle.
We had a break in the rain, so ran out to the pontoon for a pre-dinner cruise. Matt and Naveen were our snack sherpas.
Enjoying some wine on the boat with Julie and Roxanne
Captain Mark
Eagle's nest
After our boat ride, we came in to prep for a delicious dinner--grilled beef tenderloin with chimichurri, black beans and rice with mangoes, and avocado tomato salad. I walked into the dining room and then discovered a sweet birthday sign and was placed at the head of the table for a surprise early birthday dinner. So fun!
The meal was so fabulous--and then they brought out a gorgeous Daube's cake!
Such a sweet surprise.
Sunday morning the boys went out on the bikes again. Matt loved the chance to mountain bike on some beautiful terrain.
After a delicious brunch, we sat out by the water for a just a bit longer--bummed that the sun was out and it was time to leave!
We made it back home in time to load up again and hit Newt's for a burger with G and G and the girls. When we came home, Mom and the girls hit me with a big surprise: my favorite birthday treat! Not one, but TWO macadamia nut cream pies!
A week full of blessings. I'd ramble on some more, but I still have another pie to eat and I'm about to get to it.
No comments:
Post a Comment