template

Thursday, September 3, 2015

This is 37

I turned 37 on Monday. I lamented most of the summer about heading into my "late 30's", which are super close to the big 4-0, but now that I'm here? I'm happy. I like 37. I was thinking about what my mother in law said about this late 30's time being her favorite time of life, and I think I agree. I am done having babies, and my babies are at the stage where they are so enjoyable and fun and little sponges of curiosity and knowledge-seeking....yet their problems aren't big enough to cause crazy parental stress (teen years, I see you and I am already praying about you). The fact that they are older means that I now have a bit more time to take care of myself. I am more committed to personal fitness and nutrition than I've probably ever been (funny how your body sort of 'requires' that after 35), and while I sometimes feel selfish about it, I see the positive effects it has on my entire family (that whole bit about a mom's attitude and well-being being the barometer for the family mood turns out to be true). Also, I know myself pretty well at this point. Even in comparison to when I turned 30--my grasp on my own opinions, tendencies, preferences, strengths, weaknesses, what have you, is far stronger, as is my ability to be honest about it. Going along with this (and I think this is the key) is that I have accepted all of those things I just listed out. Yep, self acceptance and transparency levels feel pretty high at 37, now that I've spent the time and done the internal work to get here. The word 'grace' has a depth of meaning that it never had before, and I think the timing is right for that. As I am raising these little ladies I feel strongly about modeling grace and self-acceptance for myself. Eyes and ears are on me all the time.

So, just how did I spend my special day? I started it with a 5:30 boot camp, which is my favorite way to start the day if Matt's schedule allows. The girls and I had a lazy morning at home after that and then met Jenni and the kids for Pi pizza (and some Daube's cupcakes!). The girls went to play at their house for a large chunk of the afternoon (not planned, but a lovely surprise that made everyone happy) and I came home for a piano lesson. Our piano teacher is one of my very favorite people. She is an amazing woman, and brings so much joy to me via her love of music and encouraging spirit. She prayed a beautiful prayer over me for the coming year. After I retrieved the girls, we came home for a 'rest' and then headed downtown to meet Matt at Chester's for dinner. I had a mission--Banana Cream Pie. Theirs is my favorite Rochester restaurant dessert.

Jillian took a couple of photos from across the table. By the way, the kids always sit across from us at restaurants now....kind of weird to not have to sit next to one of them and police/manage all the chaos.


This way they can keep their crazy to themselves....




Happy Birthday to me. Banana Cream Pie (at Chester's only), I heart you. And with all my raging self-acceptance and grace I'm not gonna say a word about my crows feet. Sigh. Nope. Not one word.




I like to set some goals on my birthday each year. Last year, one of the things I wanted to do was read 36 books as a way to push myself to put the screens down and get back into reading more. It was really great, and I actually ended up reading 40. You can see the list on the food blog, if you need some recommendations. This year I intend to read at least 37, and I also am trying to keep an actual paper journal for prayer and gratitude. This will be a big challenge for me to slow down, think/process/pray, and then actually write with a pen...not just frantically type away on the computer after 2 cups of coffee while I'm also doing seven other things. We'll see.  Back to the books--the 39th book I read this year was by Jen Hatmaker--her newest, "For The Love: Fighting for Grace in a World of Impossible Standards". In it she laid out her life goals for her kids in 3 simple phrases--"Be Kind. Be You. Love Jesus".  Is there really anything else that's necessary? It all boils down nicely to this, I think. I'm officially stealing it as my mantra from this day forward (Thanks for the words, Jen). If I can model and teach my girls to live out these 3 things, then I'll be doing a bang up job as a mom. So, here we go--Be Kind. Be You. Love Jesus. Cheers to 37!

1 comment: