template

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Summer Sweetness

We are on the eve of Jillian's first day of her last year of preschool (get all that?). She has been excited about school all summer, begging to return. What can I say? The girl likes her some structure, stimulation, and socialization. Her old mom tries to give it all in a summer "routine", but it just isn't the same.  Admittedly, I have spent a lot of time feeling like I "failed" the summer--that we didn't all get along well, didn't do enough "cool crafts", didn't take enough field trips, didn't relax enough, didn't go with the flow enough, etc. On and on with the mom guilt. But today, on our way home from the RAC this afternoon, it hit me that we DID accomplish something this summer. And that something is part of what I personally believe is one of our greatest tasks as parents--instilling a love for and building relationships between siblings. Matt and I were discussing this a few weeks ago and how really what we hope for is that our girls will have a lifelong friendship and be there for each other in a way that no one else can. It is something that I certainly am grateful for with my sisters. Anyway, I was moved to shed a few quiet tears when Jillian started in from the backseat:
"Mom, I want to go to school, but I am kind of sad."
"Why are you sad? I thought you were excited about school?"
"I am just going to miss Adrienne"
"Oh, and she is really going to miss you"
"It's just that I love her and I am really going to miss her"
"I'm so glad you love each other, Jillian, it's normal to miss your sister when you are at school"
"But Mom, I just don't know if Adrienne will be OK without me"
"She will be OK, Jillian, but yes, she will miss you. That's why it's sometimes good to have a little time apart--so you can really enjoy each other when you are together and appreciate how special it is to have a sister"
"But Mom, I'm just worried. I don't know if she will be OK, she needs me. I will really miss her"
I did some more reassuring, and then she turned to Adrienne in the seat next to her:
"Adrienne, I have to go to school tomorrow, but you will be OK. You will be with Mom and probably go to the RAC and then I will come home. OK, Adrienne?"
"OK, Jee-yan"
This went on and on, and it was such sweetness to my ears, and a really nice break from all the screaming and cat fighting that is the norm right now. But, this little moment warmed my soul and is a bit of small evidence that we are headed in the right direction. The girls clearly love each other and miss the other when they are apart (another little bit of sweetness is Adrienne always asking for "My Jee-Yan" like she asks for "My Daddy". For instance, "I want to tell My Jee-Yan good night"). I realized that the accomplishment of the summer is that the girls learned to really play together. There still is a lot of fighting, and this will continue, but they really learned to be each other's playmate, work out little sharing issues, and enjoy that special built-in friendship that only siblings can share. So instead of feeling sad and guilty about all the "bummers" of summer, I am really going to be thankful for this little development and view it as a stepping stone for these sisters.

1 comment: