template

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

First World Problems

Jillian doesn't have any trouble expressing what she believes to be big problems for her. I am trying to teach her that they are 'first world problems', but it's not sticking just yet. I'm sure we'll get there eventually (I hope). At any rate, the big ones we have around here currently are these:

-It is too hard to clean up toys. And even worse than being hard, is that it is boring. This morning she thoughtfully wished for a solution, "Mom, I wish we had a magical fork and spoon that would pick up all the toys and put them away while we sleep!" It's a nice idea, right? Until then, we will stick with the promise of gathering those toys that do not get cleaned up into a bag and finding some children who need (and will appreciate) them. 

-I am a "mean, naughty mom" because I do not think it is reasonable for my almost 5 year old to be gifted with FIVE different princess dresses for costume changes (seriously) at her birthday party. To be clear, these outfits would not be considered birthday gifts. "Presents are different than the costumes I need to wear", or so I was told. The birthday theme-of-the-week is Sofia The First. We have been through several other birthday ideas ad nauseam in the last few weeks, so I cannot for sure say that this is in fact IT--but I CAN say that we are not allowing our little princess the luxury of 5 outfit changes at one two-hour birthday party. Life is hard, princess, and there are obstacles to overcome in each fairytale. We have now scheduled a 'birthday party reality orientation sit-down' for the upcoming weekend. Stay tuned.

1 comment: