template

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Clarification

We have really entered a sassy stage with Jillian. Lots of eye rolls, heavy sighs, shouts of "fine!", stuff I really didn't think we'd encounter until at least 8, but holy cow, it's on. I have been preaching to her about respect, using kind words, etc, all while struggling to do the same back to her (it's really a test to try and control your own emotions while parenting your child, isn't it??? At least it is for me). Anyway, tonight in the heat of a battle, she was storming away from and said, "You are just an old mom!!!!" in a horribly snotty tone, I might add, complete with wild arm gestures. OK, that stung a bit, I admit. I am about to turn 35 after all and am not feeling particularly young. I'd like to be clear that it wasn't what she said, but how she said it (and really it was what she said long before that particular outburst) that got her in trouble, but as I was going in her room to talk to her about her grievances after the 'episode' I asked her why she would say such a thing to me and basically call me a name. Her answer was forthright and swift, "Well, you have been my mom for a long time". Um...she's got a point. I guess that does make me an 'old mom' after all. Add another point to her score!

No comments:

Post a Comment