template

Thursday, July 11, 2013

An Imposter?

This little funny happened several hours ago, and I am still giggling about it. Matt is working a double shift today, which means he left about 6 a.m. and will get home about 11 p.m. The girls and I decided to bake him some of his favorite cookies (peanut butter), color a few pictures, and deliver them with a sushi dinner to make his day. Jillian couldn't understand why we were driving to the hospital (St Marys) because she thought Daddy worked at the "big sister class" (Charlton, a building of RMH and part of the downtown Clinic--it also happens to be where they hold the class for siblings-to-be, and I am sure she will forever think of it as "the big sister class" building). I explained that sometimes Daddy has to work at St Marys and read the imaging from the ER. After I answered about a billion questions about this we finally pulled up to the front of the hospital and Matt came rushing out, wearing scrubs and a white coat. I should pause and say that 90% of the time, Matt wears a suit to work. On days that he works at St Marys he can wear scrubs, but the Mayo protocol is that you arrive to and leave from work in street clothes (no scrubs in the community). So, long story short, he's not home in scrubs. Cut to Jillian's first visual of Matt coming at the car: "Mom! Why is Daddy wearing doctor clothes?!" Ummm....because that's what he wears when he works in this building, was my response. I didn't think I needed to state the obvious, she knows what Matt does. Then Matt opened the door to collect his goodies, kiss/hug girls, make over how much he appreciated the drop off, etc, and Jillian can't let it go. "Dad!! WHY in the world are you wearing doctor clothes?!?!?" Matt and I kept exchanging glances and giggling, and he finally said. "Because I AM a doctor, Jillian". She quickly retorted with, "No, you're not! You're a radiologist!" Those poor radiologists are so misunderstood....

No comments:

Post a Comment