Preschool was canceled today due to ice/snow. I was not the most popular person when I delivered the news to Jillian, since by her logic, Daddy should not have gone to work if it was too dangerous for me to drive her to school (she's probably right). She also is a bit distrustful of me in that she keeps asking if the other kids are at school with her teachers. She doesn't yet know that Moms enjoy preschool, too! Anyway, this pause in the action has given me cause to reflect on the usual routine since we are far deviated from it today. I am in awe of just how crazy mornings are around here. You would think this wouldn't be the case, since my kids are young and I am currently a stay at home mom. I like to be busy, and Jillian is definitely that way by nature as well. As soon as she rises in the morning I hear, "What are we doing today?" I had better have a plan, or I am in trouble! Luckily we have preschool on MWF mornings (A and I run errands MW, then head to Bible study on Fridays), MOPS on the 1st/3rd Tuesdays, and music class on Thursdays. This means we are out the door by 8:45 (though I shoot for 8:30) almost every day. Matt actually laughed at me last week when I rescheduled an 8:30 appointment last Thursday because I decided it was too much work to have everyone out of the house by 8 (I am really working on not complicating things that don't need to be complicated). He is easily out the door by 6 most days. Since I have 3 people to ready every morning, and not just one, you can imagine how well his taunting went over.....
It is a careful dance to get us dressed, fed, and out the door with all we need. I admit I become quite frustrated with myself in those last moments before we leave because I don't have it all together (despite as much prep-ahead as I can muster), and it maddens this structured perfectionist to always be rushing. We will get there. Or maybe we won't. In any case, I am working hard to begin the days with a calm attitude and patient spirit. It is not easy, and even more difficult when the kids are too young to understand the concept of getting somewhere on time. Last week it occurred to me that breakfasting together was finally possible, since A is now eating cereal in the morning. So, I seat J at the bar, bring the high chair in the kitchen, and stand at the counter between the two girls as I shovel bites into my mouth and A's, refill J's cup or bowl as needed, and simultaneously unload the dishwasher. It's a wonder I haven't accidentally given A my cereal or tasted hers--I'm sure that's coming. Last week, in all the madness of the usual rush, I paused a moment to giggle at what sat on my counter.
Three different cereals, 3 different bowls, 3 different spoons, 3 different sizes, for all 3 of us girls....all unintentionally lined up in order. It must be my subconscious attempt to bring order to the chaos.
No comments:
Post a Comment