template

Saturday, February 18, 2017

Lately

Time for a bit of catch up....

Jillian is playing Champion Basketball again this year, and we are just delighted at her improvement. Matt gave her a pep talk before the first game, telling her that when he played he would go after every rebound or loose ball with the mindset of "that's MY ball". She latched onto that, and has become an aggressive player--going for rebounds, diving for loose balls. It's been such a joy to watch her. She's made 2-3 baskets each game, often off of an offensive rebound, and she's not afraid to grab a defensive rebound, dribble the full length of the court, and take a shot. It's been extra fun for her to have two good friends, Kaia and Cora, on her team--both of them recently moved (or are moving) to our neighborhood.




Every Tuesday, I volunteer in Adrienne's class for math stations. I love the sweet kids in her class--they really are a fun group. I snapped a cute pic of her and her BFF Charlie when we were playing Top It at my math station. It was 'plaid day' (side note--Gibbs has SO many dress up days! Ack!), so they were extra precious side by side. 


We had a snow day that gave us lots of fun, fluffy snow. I went out with the girls and we made a snow-woman. Named her Pearl.


Also on this snow day, I introduced the girls to one of my favorite movies as a kid--the original Parent Trap. They were just delighted by the story, and Jillian now claims it as her favorite movie.



Adrienne was very proud (and focused) that she got to hold baby Leif during the whole second half of the basketball game. He was only 5 days old.

I sang at church Superbowl weekend, so we were behind on the food prep. The girls came shopping with me at 2 p.m. Superbowl Sunday (worse than day before Thanksgiving, I think) and we got the job done with the help of some Starbucks.



Last week I had the time of my life in the kitchen. Long story short, I was asked by my orthodontist to help him with a cooking project. They asked me to choose and prepare 10 braces-friendly recipes that they could film for "Tasty" style videos. They hired videographers and we did this in my kitchen on a Friday. I had so much fun prepping (in my typical type A fashion) and getting ready for the filming. I had a color coded system for the recipes and ingredients as I prepped.


Setting up cameras in my kitchen...

Climbing on counters for just the right shot



The aftermath. My kitchen looked like this at least 3 times that day. Ran the dishwasher 4 times! I was so tired, but so happy at the end of the day. Can't wait to see the finished products.

The girls ask to sleep together almost every night. Matt and I have decided we don't care, as long as they go to bed and don't fight (tall order these days). They actually go to bed  much easier these days because of this arrangement. I love that they find comfort and security in each other. 


Matt was sick last weekend, so the girls and I filled the time by shoe shopping (Adrienne declares shoe shopping as "WAY better than normal shopping") and filling out Valentines for school.





Monday was a big day at school. I got a call from the assistant principal and Adrienne telling me that she was the kindergarten fish of the week! This is a big deal to the kids. As the kids exhibit positive behaviors they are rewarded with 'fish tickets'. Each Monday morning they draw one name per grade out of the hat. The teacher writes a nice note about the kids, they call the parents, give them a prize, and put their picture up on the TV monitors in the hall for the week. Adrienne's teacher wrote: "Adrienne always works hard to do her best. She is a nice friend to everyone. She looks for ways to help others. Adrienne is respectful and responsible."

We also had parent teacher conferences on Monday. Both girls are doing great. Jillian's test scores are outstanding, and she is flying through second grade. She has complained of boredom lately, or that school is "too easy", so we talked about some enrichment things that can be done. She is also getting to spend some time with the GATE teacher and some other second graders, which provides her with some more challenging tasks. Mrs Erpenbach said that Jillian is always reading. As soon as she finishes her work, her nose is in a book. Love my little bookworm. 

As for Adrienne, Mrs Dyer said she is exploding academically. Math is an especially strong subject for her, and reading is improving by leaps and bounds. She is now in 2G reading level and knows 93 words (as a comparison, she knew 31 at her last conference 3 months ago). I love kindergarten and the progress that is so celebrated at this stage!



On Valentine's Day I surprised the girls with some treat bags I had made the previous night at a fun Bible study social. They were delighted by all the little trinkets and candy. The heart glasses were a favorite. 



I of course broke out my heart shaped cookie cutters for just about everything. Inside their lunches were heart shaped sandwiches and a little note on top.

I helped out in Adrienne's class and brought supplies for cookie decorating. I may have brought too much stuff because the kids just piled them on and devoured the cookies like crazy people.



Jillian had basketball practice after school, so we did our usual changing in the car and hanging out with Cora (not enough time to go home). She was so excited to show me this special gift her bestie Noah brought for her.


Dinner was easy, due to basketball practice. Thank you, Target, for paper goods. Always love to use my Grammy's red glassware whenever I can. Papa Murphy's heart shaped pizzas for the easy dinner win.




My three Valentines.




Matt gave me the best homemade valentine I've ever gotten from him in the 21 Valentine's Days we've been together. I do love my kettlebells.  Inside reads "Roses are red, violets are blue. You can lift heavy things, that's why I love you". 


The girls with their new Lego sets. It's all Legos all the time over here these days.


 My final heart-shaped surprise. I made a pan of homemade brownies and used a gigantic cookie cutter to cut out hearts and then decorated. 

 My valentine all tuckered out. He fell asleep reading on his kindle (valentine's gift from me). I'm gonna make him a reader yet.



The rest of the week involved shaking my head every time I walk into one of the girls' rooms....
 ...gawking at beautiful sunsets



...and trying to come up with ideas for more school dress-up days. Yesterday was 'Book Character' day. 20 min before we left for school we still had no plan. Luckily we made it out alive with Nancy Drew and Dorothy. 


50 plus degrees in February calls for a trip to Trader Joe's for fresh spring flowers. I can't help myself with the tulips and daffodils!

No comments:

Post a Comment