template

Sunday, January 22, 2017

Mahalo, Maui

After skipping a year, we returned to the Mayo Radiology Course in Maui last week. Thanks to Matt's invitation to give two lectures, we enjoyed some much appreciated fun in the sun. We all love Hawaii, and it grows more and more special to us each time we go. For my record-keeping, this is how it went down:

Saturday January 14th: We flew nonstop from MSP to Honolulu (then a little hop to Maui)--it's the first time they've offered that itinerary since we've been going, and we jumped at the chance. I admit that I was super anxious before boarding. The idea of 8 hours trapped in a plane (and half of that over water) makes me sweat. But, thanks to modern medicine (read Xanax) I kept my cool and we enjoyed the flight. Big plane, personal screens, and the whole middle row to ourselves=best possible flight scenario. Obligatory selfie before take-off. Girls were trying to do the "hang loose" sign, but didn't quite get it right.



Also new this year: being fed on the flight. I don't think I've had real food on an airplane since I was a kid, but we were fed constantly. First a snack, then a full meal (it was actually good--girls and I all chose the spinach and cheese ravioli), then later another snack (brownies), and finally some mini-flatbread pizzas followed by a chocolate covered macadamia nut cluster. It really helped to break up the flight nicely.



Oh, and we got eye masks. These were a big hit.


We landed in Honolulu and had 2 hours before our hop to Maui. I was grateful for the wide open courtyard for running free.


By the time we got to Maui, got our luggage and car, and made it to the resort in Wailea, it was 9 p.m. (meaning 1 a.m our time). The girls fell asleep on the way to the hotel, and when we woke Adrienne she was a zombie. You can see it here in the obligatory welcome lei shot. Just after this picture, she began sobbing and didn't stop until she was asleep about an hour later (cried through walking to room, getting bathed, eating a snack, etc). She was a real hot mess.


The next morning (Sunday) I woke at 4:30 and everyone was up at 6. Matt went to the meeting for a couple hours and the girls and I hit breakfast (first of MANY glasses of POG juice), followed by a little beach time. They were supposed to just walk the shore and play in the sand while I drank my coffee, but they ended up frolicking in the ocean fully clothed. Minnesota girls just can't resist those waves.







We went back to the beach in proper attired later in the morning, once Matt was done with the meeting. We had lunch outdoors, then enjoyed the pool. It was at the pool that the girls were reintroduced to the Diehn girls (same ages) and they had a blast together.





Back at the restaurant where the banana-dog love began. Happy girl!




Moms and Mai Tais!


After pool time, we got some ice cream with the Diehns and then headed up to our room to rest up and get showered for the welcome reception that evening. The girls call this "the party", and they look forward to it from the second we find out we are going on this trip.



The girls specifically asked me to get them Hawaiian style dresses, so I ordered some last minute from Amazon before we left.



Walking to the party



Here come (4 out of 5) Diehns...Felix, Malea, Charie, Emmy. Alexander (only 2) got to stay with grandparents in Seattle.




These 4 crazy girls at the end of the party. They had so much fun.


Monday morning was Matt's morning to talk--it was MSK day at the conference, so he was "required" to be there all morning. We tried again for a calm walk/coffee/sand play on the beach post breakfast...but you can guess what happened. 


After another outdoor lunch, we returned to the beach for the afternoon. The water was much more calm on this day so we intended to try some snorkeling nearby.




I rented some boogie boards from the resort, and the girls had a blast. Adrienne especially loved it. My little surfer girl.



My mouthpiece-free snorkel was AWESOME!! I don't have any pics of the girls snorkeling, but we did it. Both did pretty well and saw some fish. Jillian, however, tended to panic on occasion and then would just rip her mask off. She always did this when we were in water that was deeper than Matt and I were tall, so it was challenging to manage. Matt went back out later with Andrew (Mark and Julie Collins' son-in-law) and they saw lots of great stuff. Matt almost ran into a turtle!


After the beach, we quickly cleaned up and then headed to try out Monkeypod for dinner and then do some shopping.





Waiting for our car to be brought out and doing funny stuff with her leg



Best.MaiTai.EVER. Monkeypod apparently won best Mai Tai on Maui for the last 4 years and I now know why. It was incredible. Topped with lilikoi (passionfruit) foam, it was to die for.


Look alikes



As we walked to the car we laughed at the sign for this store--Panties in Paradise


Then we really started to laugh when we saw it was just two doors down from Pita Paradise. Everything is paradise in Hawaii.


After shopping, we went to Lappert's for ice cream. 


Matt took this pic of me pouting about mine. I was the only one who didn't get a cone (hard for braces!) and my scoop was so small. Boo hoo.


Palm tree love


Tuesday was an adventure day. Matt skipped most of the meeting and we went to Kihei Caffe for breakfast. The girls had crazy-enormous pancakes--Jillian a whale, Adrienne a turtle.



And I had the Banana Macadamia Nut pancakes. Smothered in coconut syrup. So good I could cry.


The girls were excited to return to Twin Falls, so we headed up across the north shore to do the hike. It's such a fun and great hike to do with families. And homemade Hawaiian treats at the end are the icing on the cake.









Matt was a good sport and offered to take each of the girls out into the water fall. The water was COLD. 


I of course stayed back to hold the bag. Someone has to do it.












Loved this tree--looked like it was wearing a hula skirt



Banana pineapple popsicle on a sugar cane stick







After the hike, we needed to go pick up Matt's rental bike. On the way, we stopped in Pa'ia for some shopping and lunch at the Flatbread Pizza Company. It was amazing. Kalua Pork and Pineapple Pizza? Yes please.



They had a fun thing for kids--they give each one a piece of paper and crayons and ask them to draw a picture to go inside the menus. The girls were delighted to see our waiter put their pictures in menus to be handed out to the next customers.



We had reservations that night at our beloved Cafe O'Lei, and invited the Diehns to join us. Matt wore his new Hawaiian shirt from the previous night's shopping trip.


The girls were all excited when we let them each order their own dessert. Lots o sugar at our table!!





On Wednesday morning, Matt left bright and early to meet up with his colleague to do the North Maui Mountain Loop bike ride. 60 miles. He was gone until about 1, so the girls and I did our usual thing--breakfast and then the beach. I decided to just let them take the lead and stay at the beach as long as they were having fun. I reserved an umbrella and sat and enjoyed.  My dear friend Julie Collins came and kept me company later in the morning, so it was nice to have an adult to chat with.








Meanwhile, Matt was rewarded with some unbelievable scenery on his bike ride.




He met up with us for lunch, then we spent the afternoon at the pool


The "Drink of the Day" is a wonderful thing


A treat post pool time. Sugar up.





Random view of the adult pool from our room



For dinner we decided on Gannon's. It was our last night and we heard that the food was great and views spectacular. Matt asked the concierge if it was walkable since we thought it seemed silly to get the car out for just 1 mile or so. They said yes--10 min walk. So we started out...and kept walking...and walking...and 45 minutes later we finally made it (in the pitch black!). I called the front desk when we got there and the lady was appalled they had told us it was walkable. So, we called for the driver of the hotel shuttle (they have 3 SUVs they use to haul guests around Wailea) and had them come get us after we ate because the kids were so wiped. Despite the long walk, we had some beautiful scenery to enjoy and the kids were such troopers.



This tree looked like it was tied in a knot.


Quite a show for our last Maui sunset.




The restaurant finally coming into view


Cheers, we made it! I had a lovely Cucumber Kula cocktail (OK two of them), and then the saddest thing happened--I tried Ahi Poke and LOVED it. This was sad because I resisted for so long (don't like the idea of raw fish), but figured what the heck. When in Rome, right?  I would have eaten it every day had I known. And believe me, if we go back, I WILL eat it every day. Fabulous!


Crazy kids after dinner, waiting for our shuttle.


Two little beach divas, conked out. Told ya they loved those eye masks.


On Thursday, we had to leave. We were all so sad, and wished we had stayed another day (probably will do so in the future). Sad faces pose on the hotel balcony.



Staring longingly at the waves on one last walk




We hesitantly loaded up our circus and made our way towards the airport. We stopped at Coconut's Fish Cafe for some fish tacos on the way. Delish!


We hopped to Honolulu at 2 p.m. Here's a quick little view as we came in to land. Definitely more of a city feel when you arrive on Oahu.


We had some snacks and waited at our gate to load up for the 7 hour trip to MSP (LOVED that it was an hour shorter on the way home!). We flew home with the Collins', and true to form, Julie was always talking to and engaging the girls whenever she was around.


The flight home was easy. Smooth. Lots of food again. About a 2 hr nap for each girl. 20 min for me and an hour for Matt. We landed in MSP at 5:15 a.m. and were home by 7. It's been nice to have three days to unpack and recover before we hit the routine again tomorrow. I'm grateful for the travel opportunities that Matt's job affords us, and for the memories we make as a result. Mahalo, Maui! Til we meet again..

















No comments:

Post a Comment