And just like that she grabbed her bike helmet and headed outside while I tried to pick my jaw up off the floor. There's hope, people. There's always hope.
template
Friday, May 27, 2016
Metaphorically Speaking
Jillian amazes me with her ability to think metaphorically and apply this type of reasoning in real life situations. Recently, we had an issue with some blatant disrespect and awful verbal outburst to me and as her consequence I assigned her an act of service--cleaning out the toys and trash in the car. After she completed the chore she came inside and in typical Jillian fashion told me how the consequence was kind of enjoyable. Trying to get my point across and not let her think she had 'won' by acting like the consequence was no big thing, I ignored her comment, and then asked if she had learned anything from the experience. She said, "Yep. Think before you stink!" I asked her what that was all about and she said that Mrs Davidson tells the kids that at school (I love this phrasing and now we use it all the time...thanks, Mrs D!). So then I asked her what that meant and she said, "You know, Mom, it's like I have to think before I make a bad decision". Then she went on...."Talking bad to your parents is kind of like going into water with your bike. You just start out getting your wheels wet and then you keep going and going and can't stop and before you know it you are trying to bike in a river and that's just impossible."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment