template

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Day of Love


Valentine's Day has morphed from a romantic holiday for two into a pretty darn fun celebration full of heart-shaped everything with my girls. I really do love Valentine's Day (always have), though admittedly I really hate actual paper valentines (ever tried to fill those out with 2 small kids?). Perhaps I'd like them more if I actually put some effort in and made some. Anyway, we had a fun little day of love with our family of four. I am pretty convinced that Jillian has a destiny in event planning, because she is all about details and special surprises to make a holiday memorable. When Matt got home on the 13th, she told him she had the next day all planned out (and even written out). Her plan was put into action early the next morning as Matt and the girls snuck out of the house early to get surprise donuts and some treats for me. Matt texted me when they were on their way home to tell me I needed to stay in bed when they got home so I didn't spoil the surprise. They were home about 15 minutes scurrying around out in the kitchen before they burst into the bedroom to wish me a Happy Valentine's Day and usher me out for breakfast.

Careful selections were made by the girls on my behalf--not one, but 2, chocolate donuts, a cooking magazine, a candle, chapstick, roses, and nail polish (it was actually an orange shade of lipstick, but Matt thought it was nailpolish--E for effort!). I'd say they know me pretty well.
We had a laid back day, and then enjoyed a huge meal of chicken parmesan and fettuccine alfredo. We capped off the day with a family dance party. The girls love this. We each select a song and then we draw numbers to see which order the songs will be played in. Daddy was pretty smooth this time--he selected the song we danced to at our wedding for his choice. And then the girls promptly followed that up with "Let It Go" and "Tonight's Gonna Be a Good Night". What can I say? We embrace many forms of music in this house. Sweet memories.

My favorite part of this particular Valentine's Day were the first handwritten Valentines that Jillian made for us. I heart phonetic spelling. Kindergarten writing is awesome. I may throw a lot of papers/projects away, but these babies landed a spot in the memory box. Precious.
"Mom I love you because you have a kind heart. Love Jillian"

"Dad your heart is kind. I love you, Jillian"

No comments:

Post a Comment