template

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Cravings

Here I am in about my tenth week and I feel terrible.  This is to be expected, and is somewhat comforting to me, but still it is hard. Jillian has decided that she'd like to rise early each day (5:30 or 6), and this is a big change from her usual 7:30 or so. Thankfully, I have successfully lured her into my bed with the promise of watching Elmo clips on my iPhone, or videos of herself on YouTube (also from my phone). The nausea lasts pretty much all day, but mornings are the worst. I am now at the point where I have to keep crackers, cereal bars, etc in  my nightstand so that I can choke something down early in the morning before rising. Jillian is very concerned about my dry heaving and vomiting, and as I am doing so chants phrases like, "Mommy is sick, eat cereal", or "Mommy frow up in da toilet", "Mommy frow up in da sink". Her level of concern is sweet, but it is not enough to get her to decide to give her old mom a break for a bit.
As for food, I have had a few cravings, or a few things that are easier than others to eat. I am surprised that I do not seem to want my beloved Pop Tarts this time around, and don't seem to need my Perrier. Water is about all I want to drink. Recently, I got a strong urge for apple pie, so I whipped one up and devoured it in about 3 days (of course with plenty of ice cream, too). I also seem to have developed a liking for McDonald's Chicken Selects. We stopped at McDonald's Thanksgiving day on our way to Grandma Helen's. It was the only place open and I was not at all thinking that fast food sounded good. I decided to try those on a whim, thinking I'd pick at them, and to my surprise I devoured the whole box. Think I've eaten them two more times since! What can I say? When you are pregnant and something sounds good, you HAVE to have it.
On a daily basis, I get by with lots of cereal. As when I was pregnant with Jillian, I am hungry for cereal I normally don't buy...Life, Golden Grahams, Frosted Mini Wheats. I also find that a handful of raw almonds goes down easy and provides me with a bit of protein staying power. In the afternoon, I get an urge for sharp cheddar cheese with Triscuits when I start feeling puny. My beloved late night snack of something covered in Nutella is not tasting good at all. I usually have to satisfy my sweet tooth with another bowl of cereal. I am praying that I start to feel better around 12 weeks as I did with Jillian, but I have had many people tell me they feel worse and for longer periods of time with subsequent pregnancies...let's hope that's not the case! Have I mentioned I have a 2 year old???

No comments:

Post a Comment