Jillian, you are independent with a capital "I". Actually, let's make all the letters of that word capital. You will dig your heels in and fight tooth and nail to break me down and allow you to take on more responsibility in every area of your life. My challenge is to actually let go. I am not good at this and you know it. You are a "give 'em an inch and they take a mile" kind of kid, so my hesitancy is not completely unmerited. We are finding little ways to loosen the parental grip where it's fine to do so....you now wake up to an alarm clock and not me, you make your own breakfast, you style your own hair, take your own shower, I've backed off on the state of your room, and so on. These are all very little things, but they will pave the way for bigger things down the road. My biggest issue is to keep myself out of your struggles--meaning, letting you learn lessons instead of swooping in to save you. For instance, the type A perfectionist in me can't stand to let you go to school without your homework planner signed, even though you forgot to get it out and ask me to sign it (what I want you to do). I've recently become aware of things I unintentionally do to help because it would bother ME to have them undone. You love to read and devour several chapter books per week. You are especially fond of Harry Potter, The Kingdom of Fantasy series, and all of the "Who Was/Is" books. Because of the latter series, you have lots of fun facts about historical figures tucked away in your brain. You also love to read and learn about animals. This is the biggest common ground for you and your best friend, Noah. You both have passion for animal information. Writing remains a beloved activity for you, and currently, you still maintain you'd like to be an author someday. Your stories are funny and creative, and full of details. As I sit and type this, I hear you and Adrienne upstairs playing school. This might go on for hours (provided we don't have a fight break out--possible at any moment), and the depth of imagination and role playing in your play together astounds me and warms my heart. You love to ride your bike and practice dribbling the basketball in the driveway. You are excited to begin a second season of the sport, and I am excited to see you begin to develop a drive to stick with something and work to improve at it. You have questions. Boy, do you have questions. The only person as curious as you is your dad, and so I often send you straight to him with your inquiries! You love science and social studies at school and complain about math (which is funny because you are exceptionally strong at math). While you love to listen to music, you cannot stand music class, and you do not like to speak or perform in front of people. Cheeseburgers remain your favorite thing ever, in addition to pepperoni pizza. You currently love a salami and mozzarella sandwich in your lunch, adore clementines, any form of potato, and are crazy about the chocolate oat snack bars I try to keep made for your after school enjoyment. You go through gum like mad, often chewing 3-4 pieces at a time. You order lemonade at restaurants, chocolate peanut butter ice cream at Flapdoodles, and have a strong desire to possess and operate the remote control. Your favorite shows are America's Funniest Home Videos, American Ninja Warrior, Alvin and the Chipmunks, The Garfield Show, and Scooby Doo. No more princesses for you, as you've decided you are too big and grown up for them. You love to climb trees, playground equipment, and anything else that will stand still. You've lost 8 teeth, bite your fingernails off so I never have to trim them, and absolutely hate anyone else to touch your hair. Your favorite color is purple, and you really like patterns with black/white/gray in them because they look "grown up" to you. You notice absolutely everything, and overhear every conversation. We can't sneak anything past you, and as it's been since the day you were born--you are always one step ahead of us and keep us on our toes. We wouldn't have it any other way. You are the kind of kid who has it in her to be a world changer, so go get 'em girl. Your dad and I are so proud of you and love you more than you will ever know. Happy 8th--it sure IS great!
![]() |


No comments:
Post a Comment