I had the pleasure of meeting my new nephew a couple weeks ago. It was not without some schedule finagling, but I managed to hop a flight to Kansas City mid-day on Thursday the 5th, and return Sunday afternoon. Matt promised he could get the girls from school on Thursday afternoon, and was magically given Friday off last minute. So off I went...all by myself!
I arrived early afternoon, just before a thunderstorm, and promptly hopped in the backseat to feast my eyes on some baby perfection.
Our first series of selfies.....
Bathtime! Seriously, this baby is gorgeous...is he not?
I took the night duty the first night, and the little muffin sucked down his bottle like a champ and then slept in his crib (I snoozed in the chair) for almost 4 hours before I had to wake up his mama so she could nurse him.
On Friday, I had a lovely view as I drank my coffee.
We loaded up and met Uncle John for lunch at a BBQ joint. Oh my, this burnt-end loving girl was in total heaven with this BBQ bowl. Gobs of burnt ends, beans, cornbread, and topped crispy onion strings. Truly might be one of my top 5 things I've ever eaten. I heart KC BBQ!
James and I snuggled that afternoon, while Mal got a nice long nap. I made some soup Friday night, and then we enjoyed having Shannon visit for a couple hours. Oh how I miss my college roomie! She is the best! Sadly, we forgot to take a pic of Shannon and I. You'll just have to settle for more cute baby pics.
Meanwhile, back at the homestead, Matt was letting the girls do their own hair. He sent me this pic and I almost peed my pants. Have mercy, girls.
Saturday morning, Mal and John kindly catered to my desire to go to the River Market. I had some beignets, some Brazilian cheese bread, and a few bites of John's shrimp and grits. Had to pace myself that early in the day. James needed a little love from his mama while we ate.
Soon we loaded up and headed to Lawrence for the afternoon. I was so excited to go I could hardly stand it! It had been ten years since I had been to my alma mater. This is what James thought of the drive to Lawrence.
Hooray for lunch at Free State Brewery!
James was unimpressed with the beer, I guess.
After lunch we took a stroll down Mass Street. Rockin the baby beanie.
Adoring his mom, as well he should.
We took the scenic route through/out of Lawrence...so I could see my college dorm before it was later imploded that week (seriously, I am THAT old), and then we drove by Matt's townhouse that he lived in during his Jr/Sr years. Hello, Pin Oaks!
James loves me. Check out those cheeks!
As if we hadn't eaten enough that day, we ran to Brookside to grab some Foos frozen custard on Saturday night. Uncle John sat down at the table and exclaimed, "Look, I found a baby!"
Meanwhile, back at home, Matt was still letting the girls style their own hair.....
I got in a few more snuggles Sunday morning, then had to fly home to the tundra. Sure enjoyed meeting Sweet Baby James!
James loved meeting his Aunt Malia & his momma sure misses your baby charming skills. :)
ReplyDelete